Trinity is an open and welcoming Church with a big heart. Established in 1849, Trinity is the oldest, continuously operating Church in Aurora. The Church was completed in 1871. We celebrate and welcome diversity - both among ourselves and in the world we live in. We range in age from newborn to over 90, with an average age around 50. A few of us have attended Trinity since childhood, and have raised our own children here. Many others are new to the city or the neighborhood and are beginning to feel at home at Trinity. Many of us come from Aurora, but several of us are known to travel, we have members who join us from St. Charles, Naperville, Oswego, Plainfield, and Leland. We welcome all baptized people to share in the sacrament of Holy Communion. For those who wish to know more about the Episcopal Faith, we offer periodic Inquirer's Classes. Over the past five years, we have welcomed a number of young, single people as well as families with young children and, simultaneously, many empty-nesters. To explain more about Trinity we have developed a variety of brochures for your information that you can find at the bottom of this page.
Trinity Parish was organized in May, 1849. After meeting in a school house, the foundation for a new church building was begun 1851 at the corner of Lake Street and Spruce Street. The lot, donated by Roswell Wilder, was for consideration of a lifetime pew rent. That church was consecrated on July 18, 1854. In 1867, the brick Gothic church was abandoned for a more central location, Arcadome Hall on Broadway (now Route 25) and then sold to a Baptist congregation. On Easter Sunday, April 19, 1870, the cornerstone for the present stone church was laid at the corner of Benton and Lincoln Streets. It was built at a cost of $11,250 and opened for services on Trinity Sunday, June 4, 1871. It is now the oldest church in Aurora that is still occupied by the original congregation.
Trinity Parish has had 27 rectors during its 158-year history. Trinity is currently served by Father Denzil Luckritz.
In the sanctuary, the Tiffany-style windows reflect a 19th-century pattern: more picture and less gray, but they were made to harmonize with other windows in the church. The window on the left depicts the flight into Egypt by the Holy Family, to escape Herod's wrath. The middle window is Jesus in the temple at the age of twelve, and the one on the right is the Crucifixion.
We recently discovered a book, "Symbols of the Church together with Saints and Their Emblems" edited by Carrol E. Whittemore with drawings by William Duncan, published by Whittemore Associates, Inc. Boston, Ma. that helped us compile a description of the symbols contained in Trinity's Stained Glass windows. The description is not definitive, so if you find mistakes or have additional information, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click below to download the updated document. In addition, we have compiled another document that details other symbols in the Church including the Chapel, the Pulpit and the Baptismal Font. Click below to download the new document.
The screen by the organ console has two memorial plaques: one to an early rector, The Reverend Charles A Holbrook, who guided the church from 1883-1905; and to whom the organ was originally dedicated. The other memorial is to John Leo Lewis, noted organist and composer, who served from 1950 -1971. The organ, built for Trinity by M.P. Moller in 1924 at a cost of $14,000, was the third organ in the church. In the 1970's it sustained water damage and went unused for more than 20 years. It has been restored and rebuilt by William J. Stephens in 2001 and has been a cause of celebration and a series of dedicatory recitals held in that year. The organ has three manuals; great, swell, choir, echo, and pedal departments; and 27 ranks, plus 20 cathedral chimes and a 61-bar harp, which was the largest harp that could be installed in an organ. To build it today would cost approximately $400,000.00. Trinity is currently seeking donations for the organ's repair and upgrade.
Starting in 2008 with a capital campaign which enabled the Church to secure Economic Development Funds from the City of Aurora, a massive renovation effort brought about the rejuvenation of the Church. The roof to the Parish Hall, the Cloister and the organ chamber was replaced. The Church, the Cloister and the Parish Hall were repainted in colors that were close to the original ones from the 1870s. The Church was tuckpointed. Interior lighting was re-done to improve visibility and reduce costs. Exterior lighting was added. A handicapped accessible ramp has been added. New signs proclaim our existence. The Bathroom and the Guild room nave been completely redone. Upgrades to the heating system have made it more efficient and less costly. Trinity received the 2008 Mayors Award for Excellence in Downtown Improvement. Efforts continue! Come be a part of this exciting rebirth of Trinity!